Gastroscopy, the examination of the interior of the stomach, originated in 1873 when Kussmaul introduced a 13-mm-caliber metal pipe into the stomach of a professional sword swallower. It was Mickulicz, however, who in 1881 first visualized the pylorus and thus stimulated many others to study this procedure. It was not until 1910 that Loening and Stieda produced the first, easily usable, nonflexible gastroscope. In 1923, Schindler2 presented an atlas of colored gastroscopic pictures, the result of many examinations without untoward reactions and thus removed the fear of gastroscopy. His introduction in 1932 of the flexible Wolf-Schindler gastroscope heralded a new era, since the new scope made gastroscopy easier, almost dangerless, and a routine procedure in many hospitals, thus aiding in the solution of many diagnostic and therapeutic problems in stomach diseases.
Gastroscopy as a Diagnostic Tool
Gastroscopy, which started in Germany but flourished in the United States since 1932 under
Steigmann F. Gastroscopy in Clinical Medicine. JAMA. 1967;201(2):119-122. doi:10.1001/jama.1967.03130020065016