[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.166.61.50. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
July 8, 1968

CARL S. F. CREDÉ (1819-1892) LEIPZIG OBSTETRICIAN AND GYNECOLOGIST

JAMA. 1968;205(2):107. doi:10.1001/jama.1968.03140280061020
Abstract

Carl Sigmund Franz Credé was the founder of the gynecologic clinic at the Charité Hospital, Berlin; a proponent of gentle, external manipulation for expulsion of the placenta; and an advocate of silver nitrate instillation for prevention of ophthalmia neonatorum. He received his medical education in his native Berlin except for a semester spent at Heidelberg.1 Carl's father, of French lineage, occupied a high position in the University of Berlin as head of the Department of Public Worship and Public Instruction. The MD degree was granted Credé in 1842 with the presentation of an inaugural thesis, entitled De Omphaloproptosi. After a period of travel and study, he became an assistant in Busch's clinic and in 1850 qualified as privatdocent. Two years later he was appointed director of the Berlin School for Mid-wives and chief of the lying-in department of the Charité. In 1856, Credé succeeded Jörg as professor of midwifery

×