[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Sept 16, 1968

Corrosive Gastritis Resembling Carcinoma, Due to Ingestion of Acid

JAMA. 1968;205(12):883-884. doi:10.1001/jama.1968.03140380087028

To the Editor:—  Oral ingestion of corrosive substances has become an infrequent event. Most physicians remain familiar with the effects of lye ingestion resulting in esophageal stricture. Chronic effects resulting from other corrosives are encountered. In an experience in which the nature of the ingested corrosive was not clearly established at first (mistakenly assumed to have been lye) the history of ingestion was dismissed as clinically irrelevant.

Report of a Case:—  A 69-year-old man was admitted to St. Luke's Hospital on Feb 9, 1968, because of epigastric pain. The patient was apparently well until Jan 8, when because of depression, he swallowed about one third to one half cupful of cleaning material assumed to be lye. Immediately afterward the patient felt severe burning pain in the substernal and upper abdominal areas. During three weeks in a hospital the patient continued to have epigastric pain, more pronounced after eating. Vomitus on