To the Editor.—
I am the medical writer for the Milwaukee Journal and an avid reader of The Journal for background and possible story ideas. I read with interest in the Oct 28 issue in the question and answers section the question regarding the "purple flush" (230:614, 1974). Recently, I reported on a syndrome uncovered by researchers at the Medical College of Wisconsin, which they named "degreasers' flush."1 Simply, they found that workers using solvents in industry, who are exposed to them daily occasionally suffer a sudden flush of the face and extremities after ingesting three or four beers or a couple of shots of whiskey. The condition, while benign, is embarrassing. Perhaps Dr. Mick's patient represented one of these cases. Just a thought.
Rosenberg ND. Purple Flush. JAMA. 1975;231(3):247. doi:10.1001/jama.1975.03240150011011