[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.166.74.94. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
July 17, 1981

A Fatal Poisoning From the Oregon Rough-Skinned Newt (Taricha granulosa)

Author Affiliations

From the Department of Internal Medicine, Bay Clinic (Dr Bradley), and the Bay Area Hospital, (Mr Klika), Coos Bay, Ore. Dr Bradley is currently in private practice in North Bend, Ore.

JAMA. 1981;246(3):247. doi:10.1001/jama.1981.03320030039026
Abstract

CERTAIN newts possess a neurotoxin that can be fatal if ingested. Toxic varities include the Taricha species that are found in Oregon, California, and southern Alaska (Figure). In addition, certain species found on the east coast such as the Notophthalmus species of the Carolinas are toxic, but the toxin is only 1/100th as potent as that found in Taricha.1

Report of Cases 

Case 1.—  A 29-year-old man drank approximately 150 mL of whiskey at about 11 AM July 9, 1979. At 6 PM he swallowed a 20-cm newt on a dare. Within ten minutes he complained of tingling of the lips. During the next two hours he began complaining of numbness and weakness and stated that he thought he was going to die. He refused to be transported to a hospital and was left alone for 15 minutes and then experienced cardiopulmonary arrest. Resuscitation measures were initiated, but two

×