[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.166.61.50. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
October 27, 1978

Conjunctivitis and Skin ErythemaOutbreak Caused by a Damaged High-Intensity Lamp

Author Affiliations

From the Division of Laboratories and Epidemiology, New Jersey Department of Health, Trenton.

JAMA. 1978;240(18):1980-1981. doi:10.1001/jama.1978.03290180054025
Abstract

Eighty-one members of girls' basketball teams were exposed to ultraviolet light while sitting in the bleachers of a school gymnasium. A mercury high-intensity discharge lamp lighting the bleacher area had a hole in its outer envelope that allowed the emission of ultraviolet light. Sixty-nine (85%) of the 81 girls were affected; 49 (71%) had symptoms of conjunctivitis and 63 (91%) had symptoms of erythema.

(JAMA 240:1980-1981, 1978)

×