[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.211.62.139. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
February 22, 1980

Keratoconjunctivitis From Ultraviolet Light

Author Affiliations

The Malden Hospital Malden, Mass

JAMA. 1980;243(8):732-733. doi:10.1001/jama.1980.03300340012007

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

To the Editor.—  The report of keratoconjunctivitis in nursing personnel exposed to ultraviolet rays emitted by an inappropriate bulb in a desk lamp (242:1155, 1979) is important because of the increased use and availability of bacteriocidal ultraviolet lamps. Apparently, the persons involved were exposed to direct rays in addition to light apparently reflected from the desk's surface. I want to report a similar incident that occurred when, as a pathology resident, I was demonstrating anatomic specimens to a group of medical students. We were standing in front of a stainless steel bench that was illuminated by an eye-level fixture equipped with a visor to reduce glare. Incorporated into the fixture was an ultraviolet light designed to suppress the microbiologic flora of the bench top. All of the students and I awoke the following morning with the sensation of having sand in the eyes. The phenomenon was familiar to me, because

×