[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
June 14, 1985

Treatment of Mushroom Poisoning

Author Affiliations

The Oregon Health Sciences University Portland

JAMA. 1985;253(22):3252. doi:10.1001/jama.1985.03350460048016

To the Editor.—  The review of mushroom poisoning by Hanrahan and Gordon1 and the letter by Olson et al2 point out the lack of a treatment of choice for Amanita poisoning and the need for further study in this area.Because the medical literature is replete with erroneous myths and misinformation concerning mushroom poisoning, we wish to point out a needed correction. The standard dosage of intravenous thioctic acid is 50 to 150 mg every six hours3 and not 300 mg/kg/day as published in Hanrahan and Gordon's article.While mushroom poisoning may seem to some an obscure rarity common only among mycophagists, it is a growing problem. In 1984, the Oregon Poison Control and Drug Information Center answered more than 600 calls concerning mushroom poisonings.