This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
THE FIRST 4-year medical college west of the Mississippi has passed the century mark this year. On September 27, 1892, the John A. Creighton College of Medicine first opened its doors in the frontier river town of Omaha, Neb. Its goals: to relieve human suffering and provide poor young Roman Catholics with the opportunity for a medical education.
The 32 men and one woman comprising the starting class had each completed high school, as required. Tuition and fees for the 1892-1893 academic year totaled $65.
The medical college's founder, John Andrew Creighton, was the ninth and youngest child of Irish immigrant farmers. Almost any business he undertook reaped a fortune, including wholesale and retail groceries, cattle ranching, and banking.
He was also the younger brother and sometimes partner of Edward Creighton, whose vision and business savvy brought to fruition the transcontinental crossing of the telegraph in October 1861, 8 years
Creighton University Marks Centennial. JAMA. 1992;268(17):2347. doi:10.1001/jama.1992.03490170011002