[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
October 18, 1985

Pregnancy and Dysplastic Nevus Syndrome-Reply

Author Affiliations

Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School Boston

JAMA. 1985;254(15):2063. doi:10.1001/jama.1985.03360150039015
Abstract

In Reply.—  Dr Nichols is correct in his assertion that the effects of pregnancy on dysplastic nevi remain to be established. However, since dysplastic nevi are currently thought to be present in only 2% to 4% of the white population, the relatively reassuring data presented in the article of Foucar et al1 would seem to be applicable to the remaining 96% to 98% of women who do not have dysplastic nevi. Anecdotally, I have followed several women with dysplastic nevi closely through pregnancy without discerning significant clinical changes in their nevi. I have been recommending close follow-up at three-month intervals for this group during pregnancy.The relationship, if any, between pregnancy and cutaneous melanoma is not clear at this time. While I have seen several women who have developed aggressive primary melanomas during pregnancy, I have seen similar events in nonpregnant women and in men. What is needed is

×