This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
—Professor Karl Braun, of Vienna, is justly considered one of the greatest obstetrical and gynæcological surgeons of the day. Aside from highly original, intellectual endowment,—cultivated and developed by the vigorous, scholastic training of the Gymnasium,—local conditions have conspired to make him the great authority he is. From March, 1849, to Sept., 1853, Karl Braun acted as sole assistant in the Vienna Obstetrical Clinic; from 1853 to 1856, he acted as head-master of the Trieste Lying-in Hospital; in Dec., 1856, he returned to Vienna, and assumed control of the Obstetrical Clinic. In October, 1873, the Lying-in Department of the Vienna General Hospital was divided into three clinics. Karl Braun took charge of the First Clinic, while the Second and Third Clinics were placed respectively in care of Professors Josef Spaeth, and Gustav Braun. The colossal material which has come under Professor Karl Braun's observation, during his thirty-five years of uninterrupted
Professor Karl Braun's Operative Methods in Laparotomy.. JAMA. 1884;III(13):356-357. doi:10.1001/jama.1884.02390620020004