In an admirable paper before the Sixty-fifth Convocation of the University of Chicago, in December, 1907, Dr. William Henry Welch,1 professor of pathology in Johns Hopkins University, pointed out with clearness that the historical and right home of the medical school is the university, and that it should be an integral part of it, coordinate with other departments. In the discussion of this matter he called attention to the fact that no other type of medical school has existed on the continent of Europe other than that which was under the fostering care and which shared the ideals of the university. It was under similar ideals that the medical school in this country began, and Dr. Welch traced with admirable clearness the story of the transfer of medical education from the university to the proprietary medical school.
He called attention to the fact that the proprietary school in higher education
PRITCHETT HS. THE OBLIGATIONS OF THE UNIVERSITY TO MEDICAL EDUCATION. JAMA. 1910;LIV(14):1109-1114. doi:10.1001/jama.1910.92550400001001b