In 1901 and 1902, the first dental department of a clinic or hospital in New York City was established in St. Bartholomew's Clinic at 215 East Forty-Second Street. This has had a continuous existence up to the present time. The organization and direction of the dental service was carried on by Dr. J. Morgan Howe.
Shortly after this Dr. John W. Brannan, the president of the Board of Trustees of Bellevue and Allied Hospitals, suggested the establishing of a dental service in Bellevue Hospital. This seemed a good suggestion. In the first place, it appeared that a weak point in the chain of resistance to the inroads of disease was the lack of intelligent care of the mouth and teeth, and the opportunity to be associated with this great emergency hospital offered excellent conditions for putting into execution plans which might show that no satisfactory attempt could be made at
WHEELER HL. A METHOD OF OBTAINING DENTAL SERVICE IN HOSPITALS BY THE APPOINTMENT OF INTERNS. JAMA. 1915;LXIV(5):387-390. doi:10.1001/jama.1915.02570310007002