This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
With reference to the World's Fair exhibit of the models of the disinfecting chambers in use at the St. Lawrence quarantine the following will be of interest:
Grosse Isle, about 700 acres in extent—larger than the grounds covered by the World's Fair— and thirty-one miles below Quebec, was purchased and equipped as a quarantine station in 1832, when cholera first visited this country. It was then provided with the best means and methods for the ends in view at that time known. There still remains a massive and roomy hot air disinfecting oven. It had also a liberal supply of detention and isolation buildings, wash houses, etc. The presence and use of these appliances and buildings provided all that sanitary science of that day considered requisite for a first class quarantine station during the sailing vessel period. They rendered it then and for many subsequent years the best equipped quarantine
QUARANTINE IN CANADA.. JAMA. 1893;XXI(17):621. doi:10.1001/jama.1893.02420690029011