[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.161.168.87. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
September 14, 1907

Accident with Therapeutic Electric Lamp.

JAMA. 1907;XLIX(11):955. doi:10.1001/jama.1907.02530110067016

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

Elmhurst, Ill., Sept. 6, 1907.

To the Editor:  —I wish to report a mishap which occurred during the use of a therapeutic lamp. The lamp used was a small portable one. While administering a treatment over the abdomen, for a diffuse peritonitis, without any known cause the globe exploded, severely frightening and burning the patient.The therapeutic lamp is frequently used about the face in the treament of boils, infections, eczema, neuralgia, enlarged glands, etc. Since the incandescent globe may explode, light and heat should be administered through a different medium.

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×