This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
Mt. Carmel, Ill., April, 1894.
To the Editor:
—Your notice, on page 523 of the Journal of April 7, of Prof. John Tyndall's donation to Harvard, does very meager justice to his noble acts. He came to this country in October, 1872, and delivered lectures in Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, New York, Brooklyn and New Haven—thirty-six in all; the total receipts for which were $23,100. After deducting his actual expenses there was left $13,033. This he placed in the care of a board of trustees, consisting of Prof. Joseph Henry, Dr. E. L. Youmans and Gen. Hector Tyndale, with a request that the interest on the same be used to send two especially promising American pupils to one of the European universities. The trustees found considerable difficulty in carrying out the instructions, and did not use all the interest as it accrued. At the end of thirteen years the fund
SCHNECK J. Professor John Tyndall.. JAMA. 1894;XXII(15):558. doi:10.1001/jama.1894.02420940034011