Relative to the article in The Journal1 on Steam's headache cure (Shac), I report the following case of poisoning as the result of the use of this preparation by a patient who recently came under my care:
—Mrs. S., aged 45, who had often suffered from headache, but had never previously taken any proprietary remedies for its relief, was induced to take a Steam's headache wafer by her daughter who had been using them. About half an hour after taking it she began to feel faint and dizzy, and in another half hour had lapsed into total unconsciousness.
—When seen the patient was still unconscious. The face was somewhat cyanotic, skin was moist, pupils were normal, respiration was slow and shallow, pulse was of fairly good quality though increased in frequency; the pulmonary second sound was greatly accentuated.
—Under full doses of strychnin and atropin hypodermatically,
ROOKER AM. CASE OF POISONING BY HEADACHE POWDERS (SHAC).. JAMA. 1907;XLIX(20):1675. doi:10.1001/jama.1907.25320200033003g