This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
For the first time in the history of the United States, a public statue has been erected to the memory of a member of the medical profession.
On Oct. 20, 1894, in one of the most beautiful parks in New York City, in a spot of ground selected and set apart for statues of literary and scientific men considered worthy of such honor, there was unveiled a statue in bronze of a man well known in scientific circles, as well in Europe as in America.
The inscription upon the pedestal tells in concise language almost the story of the man whose statue it supports, and why such distinguished honor has been conferred upon a physician.
On it is written:
"J. Marion Sims, M.D., LL.D. Born in South Carolina, 1813. Died in New York City, 1883. Surgeon and Philanthropist, Founder of the Woman's Hospital in the State of New York. His
THE STATUE OF DR. J. MARION SIMS IN BRYANT PARK.. JAMA. 1894;XXIII(18):689-690. doi:10.1001/jama.1894.02421230029003