The Denver Fire Department was called to the office of the Denver Post Sept. 20, 1904, at 4 p. m. On arrival they were informed that a carboy of nitric acid had been accidentally broken in an attempt to remove the stopper with a hammer. The acid spread across the floor, coming in contact with the zinc used in etching. Sawdust was used to absorb it, and, rapidly oxidizing, burst into flame here and there, resulting in the call for the firemen. Mr. Bradt, foreman of the department, who was at work in the room, states that the fumes and smoke were not especially irritating until the portable apparatus began playing on the fire, the usual carbonic acid-producing solutions being employed.
We find by examination that the acid used contained no appreciable amount of nitrous acid and was of about 38 per cent. strength. About ten gallons of it escaped
HALL JN, COOPER CE. THE EFFECTS OF THE INHALATION OF THE FUMES OF NITRIC ACID.WITH REPORT OF CASES.. JAMA. 1905;XLV(6):396-399. doi:10.1001/jama.1905.52510060032002h