Leprosy has existed in all the islands of Hawaii for many years and was first officially recognized in 1840, and there is general belief that it was imparted from China. As the disease spread rapidly, a board of health was organized in December, 1850, with power to insist on segregation of all persons suffering from this affection, in consequence of which act the malady is gradually disappearing. All leprosy suspects are sent to Kalihi, a receiving hospital near Honolulu, where they are examined by a medical board and all lepers are transferred to Molokai.
Despite the earnest efforts of the board of health, an unknown number of lepers exist in the different islands of Hawaii, which number, however, is steadily decreasing, and is now smaller than at any time in the past. Many of the suspects present conditions rendering diagnosis extremely difficult. This is especially true in certain of the
DALAND J. LEPROSY IN THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.. JAMA. 1903;XLI(19):1125-1129. doi:10.1001/jama.1903.92490380001001