This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
Iowa City, Iowa, July 5, 1897.
To the Medical Profession, Members of the Legislature and Citizens of Iowa:
You are doubtless aware that the Board of Regents of the University of the State of Iowa have appropriated nearly $150,000 for the construction and equipment of an hospital to be an adjunct to the Medical Department of the University.
This hospital has been planned to possess the greatest amount of facility for medical and surgical work possible in the present state of science; and, under proper restrictions, it might become a source of great benefit to the needy and indigent requiring medical or surgical treatment.
But the best information accessible indicates that the use and control of the hospital is to be restricted to members of the Faculty of the Medical Department of the State University, and that the practical working of the hospital is to be largely under the control
Clapp EF, Hobby CM. An Open Letter.. JAMA. 1897;XXIX(3):141. doi:10.1001/jama.1897.02440290047015