[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
April 28, 1906


JAMA. 1906;XLVI(17):1292. doi:10.1001/jama.1906.02510440046012

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.


We have all probably heard of the unfortunate individual who mistook an ivory vaccination point for a toothpick and the unpleasant consequences which resulted. A rather more striking and uncomfortable, but not inexcusable, accident is reported from Great Britain. A physician, preparing to vaccinate an infant, was struck in the eye by a little fragment of glass from the breaking of a tube of vaccine. Though he immediately washed his eye, the virus took and he had a vaccine pustule, presumably on the conjunctiva, as it is said that his eyesight is not likely to be affected.

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview