This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
From small beginnings, research work in the laboratory of the service has grown to important proportions. It is believed that a short sketch of the growth of the laboratory woulld serve to show better than extended remarks the process of development through which it has passed.
The laboratory was inaugurated as a laboratory of pathology and bacteriology, principally the latter, at the Marine-Hospital of the Port of New York, situated at Stapleton, Staten Island, in 1887. For several years it was in charge of one officer who devoted such time to it only as could be spared from his professional duties in the hospital.
In 1891 the Marine-Hospital Service, having been provided with an office building for its exclusive use, the laboratory was removed from New York to Washington, and from 1891, to March, 1904, occupied one floor of the office building of the service, undergoing meanwhile a steady development.
GEDDINGS HD. RESEARCH WORK IN THE HYGIENIC LABORATORY OF THE PUBLIC HEALTH AND MARINE-HOSPITAL SERVICE.. JAMA. 1904;XLII(26):1686-1687. doi:10.1001/jama.1904.92490710018002l