This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
This report, by Dr. John S. Billings, Jr., is a book of 46 pages, giving the history and arrangements of the clinic as well as the results for the period from its establishment in March 1, 1904, to Jan. 1, 1906. New York was one of the first cities to require reports of tuberculous cases. This was done as regards public institutions in 1894 and in 1895 free examinations of sputum were begun; in that year 511 specimens were examined, while 10 years later, during 1905, 18,639 were examined. A special corps of medical inspectors was organized to visit all patients not under the care of private physicians, at their homes, and to order the disinfection of premises vacated by consumptives. A corps of nurses was provided to visit all living cases requiring such supervision; a municipal sanatorium was opened and finally the municipal clinic was established.
The principal services
First Report of the Clinic for the Treatment of Communicable Pulmonary Diseases. Department of Health, City of New York.. JAMA. 1906;XLVII(23):1936. doi:10.1001/jama.1906.02520230072022