September 17, 1904


JAMA. 1904;XLIII(12):772-774. doi:10.1001/jama.1904.92500120002

The subject assigned to me in the symposium was "Arteriosclerosis Due to Metallic Poisons."

I have had no experience with the effects of other metals, and, therefore, confine my remarks to the toxic influence of lead.

MODE OF ENTRANCE TO THE SYSTEM.  Lead and its compounds are so commonly used by man that it is not surprising to meet with its toxic effects in the body. This occurs more frequently because with some individuals it gains easy access to the body.Not only may it be taken into the body as a contamination of food and drink and doubtless from prolonged medicinal use, but it may also be taken into the alimentary tract from the hands soiled with metallic lead or from lead paints. Doubtless it may be absorbed through the skin, as frequent cases of poisoning have occurred from the use of lead hair dyes.Cigarmakers sometime

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview