This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
The Hygienic Laboratory of the U. S. Public Health and Marine-Hospital Service is an institution that is doing splendid work in the interest of public health. Started in New York in 1887, it was moved to Washington in 1891, and in 1901 Congress appropriated for it five acres of ground on the site of the old Naval Observatory, overlooking the Potomac river and adjoining the Naval Medical School. Since these facilities were secured for the laboratory its work has been broadened, and to-day it is the most important of any work undertaken by the Government as far as the health of the people is concerned. When the present building was erected in 1902 the work of the laboratory was confined to pathology and bacteriology. Since that time zoology, pharmacology and chemistry have been added by law. Naturally, with the broadening out of the work there has come the need of
ADDITIONAL BUILDING FOR THE HYGIENIC LABORATORY.. JAMA. 1907;XLVIII(12):1034. doi:10.1001/jama.1907.02520380050007