[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.205.87.3. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
April 13, 1907

IMPROVED FRACTURE APPARATUS.

Author Affiliations

MILWAUKEE, WIS.

JAMA. 1907;XLVIII(15):1266-1267. doi:10.1001/jama.1907.25220410042002c

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

The apparatus here shown is the result of combined effort on the part of Dr. Frederick T. Mueller of Chicago and myself, with the assistance of Mr. S. George Hubbell of Milwaukee, a mechanical expert, who carried our ideas into effect. The purpose of the machine is to enable the surgeon to reduce a fracture of any of the long bones of the lower extremity and hold the fractured ends in apposition while a permanent set is made by a plaster cast. It is used also in various orthopedic operations.

To facilitate the reduction of fractures the patient is placed in a horizontal position on the machine, the feet being separately fastened to the foot rests on the ends of the long rods, the sacrum resting on the horizontal plate supported on the vertical post, which latter comes between the legs and touches the pubic arch. The shoulders of the

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×