[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.161.168.87. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
October 10, 1966

New State Medical School Opens

JAMA. 1966;198(2):43. doi:10.1001/jama.1966.03110150023012

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

Three distinctive ingredients were combined to form Michigan State University's College of Human Medicine, which admitted its first students late last month:

Existing campus strengths, new faculty, and a liberal dash of imaginative planning.

Twenty-six students form the inaugural class of the College, Michigan's third medical school. The 22 men and four women began attending classes just two and one-half years after Andrew D. Hunt, Jr., MD, was appointed first dean of the College.

Many medical schools have, and are spending considerably more time in their active, organizational stage. What enabled MSU to begin operations so soon?

Much of the answer lies in strengths already existing at East Lansing, Dean Hunt believes. Of the College's 13 departments, only the department of medicine, was not pre-existing.

Additional medically-qualified faculty have been added to the faculty of existing deparments and four new chairmen named. These are: Theodore M. Brody, PhD, pharmacology; Philipp

×