This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
This institution was opened in 1839 by Dr. Peter Parker. It is now conducted by Dr. J. G. Kerr. assisted by Dr. J. M. Swan and Miss Niles, M.D. During 1891, the number of patients received was 1,269, while there were treated in the out patient department not less than 22,000 cases. There were 2,140 surgical operations performed. The wards are roomy and improvements are added yearly. About thirty natives have been trained in four year courses. Some of these continue at Canton and assist at the Canton Hospital or at the three dispensaries conducted by Dr. Mary Fulton, at which several thousand women and children have received treatment. Others of the graduates have gone back to their former homes into the interior and even to the borders of riotous Hunan. Nearly all the high officials of Canton have from time to time had occasion to seek the advice of
THE MISSION HOSPITAL AT CANTON.. JAMA. 1892;XIX(16):475. doi:10.1001/jama.1892.02420160029005