A 62-year-old woman was swimming in the Red Sea off Taba, Egypt and suddenly experienced pain, swelling, and violaceous discoloration of the left leg. At the site of this incident she saw what she later identified from pictures as a stonefish. After being treated at a local clinic with hot water immersion and intramuscular steroid injection, she crossed the border back into Israel and was admitted to a hospital, where intravenous antibiotic treatment with amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium was administered. She was discharged but soon presented to the emergency department with severe pain of the fourth left toe.
Rishpon A, Cohen Z, Brenner S. Neuroma Formation and Toe Amputation Resulting From Stonefish Envenomation. Arch Dermatol. 2008;144(8):1076-1077. doi:10.1001/archderm.144.8.1076