[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.161.128.52. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
December 1969

Parenteral Methotrexate in PsoriasisA Report on the Efficacy and Toxicity of Long-Term Intermittent Treatment

Author Affiliations

New Haven, Conn

From the Department of Medicine and Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Conn. Dr. McDonald is currently at the Division of Bio-Medical Science, Brown University, Providence, RI.

Arch Dermatol. 1969;100(6):655-668. doi:10.1001/archderm.1969.01610300005001
Abstract

Thirty-six patients with severe, debilitating, and refractory psoriasis, arthritis, or both were treated with parenteral methotrexate for periods of time that varied from six months to three years. Five of the 36 patients had previously received oral methotrexate without adequate control of the disease.

Of the patients, 80% responded to 25 and 50 mg of the drug biweekly. The remaining 20% could be controlled with 75 mg biweekly, however, the incidence of drug-induced toxicity increased significantly with the higher drug dosages, but was not severe enough to cause permanent cessation of therapy.

Data obtained were compared with data presented by other investigators using the oral and parenteral routes. The regimen of 25 to 50 mg of biweekly parenteral methotrexate gave therapeutic results comparable to those reported by others using higher parenteral and daily oral dosages. Knowledge of the pharmacology of methotrexate leads one to believe that the use of this regimen will reduce the potential for long-term toxicity.

×