To the Editor.—
A girl developed onycholysis after handling sodium hypochlorite at a swimming pool.
Report of a Case
An 18-year-old girl was seen on July 20, 1972, because of onycholysis of all her fingernails. She was employed as a lifeguard at a swimming pool during the summer. One of her duties was to add a solution containing 16% sodium hypochlorite to the pool each morning, so that the pool would contain a free residual of chlorine of 0.4 to 0.7 ppm. After doing this for a period of several weeks, she developed onycholysis. Her job was terminated at the beginning of September, at which time she went to school. Within one or two months, the condition of her nails returned to normal.The girl returned to the same job in June 1973, and again was required to add the sodium hypochlorite to the pool. She was seen on June
Coskey RJ. Onycholysis From Sodium Hypochlorite. Arch Dermatol. 1974;109(1):96. doi:10.1001/archderm.1974.01630010068021