[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
November 1979

Persistent Photosensitivity Following Occupational Exposure to Epoxy Resin

Author Affiliations

From Duhring Laboratories, Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia.

Arch Dermatol. 1979;115(11):1307-1310. doi:10.1001/archderm.1979.04010110013015
Abstract

Persistent photosensitivity developed in eight men following occupational exposure to hot epoxy resin fumes. The condition was limited to sites the resin contacted. Small doses of ultraviolet-A light (2 to 5 joules/sq cm) evoked abnormal reactions consisting of erythema, edema, and papules in the clinically involved skin. Positive photopatch tests to epoxy resin were observed in four subjects, and to 4,4′-isopropylidenediphenol (Bisphenol A) in all. The photosensitivity is most probably due to photocontact allergy to 4,4′-isopropylidenediphenol or to a closely related chemical.

(Arch Dermatol 115:1307-1310, 1979)

×