[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
February 1983

Lindane Poisonings

Author Affiliations

From the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Miami School of Medicine (Drs Davies, Morgade, and Barquet); the Department of Anesthesiology, West Virginia University Medical Center, Morgantown (Dr Dedhia); and the Department of Dermatology, University of California Medical Center, San Francisco (Dr Maibach).

Arch Dermatol. 1983;119(2):142-144. doi:10.1001/archderm.1983.01650260050017
Abstract

• One percent lindane, widely used to treat scabies and pediculosis, presents toxicologic problems when used excessively. A 16-year-old mentally retarded boy accidentally ingested approximately 392 g of 1% lindane shampoo and recovered. A 2-month-old, 4.5-kg, male infant was found dead in his crib after excessive application of a 1% lindane lotion. In the former patient, initial serum levels of lindane were 206 parts per billion (ppb) declining to 1.0 ppb after 25 days. In the latter, lindane was identified in the brain at a concentration of 110 ppb. Brain levels of lindane were three times greater than the levels found in the blood. Although the relationship of this pesticide exposure to the fatal outcome in the second case was conjectural, it was illustrative of the problem of interpreting CNS events that occur shortly after excessive exposure to this insecticide.

(Arch Dermatol 1983;119:142-144)

×