[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.163.147.69. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
April 1987

Oral Hyposensitization to Poison Ivy and Poison Oak

Author Affiliations

From the Divisions of Dermatology (Dr Marks) and Internal Medicine (Dr Trautlein) and the Department of Family and Community Medicine (Dr Laws), The Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey; the Department of Dermatology, University of California at San Francisco (Dr Epstein); and the Division of Dermatology, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown (Dr Sicard).

Arch Dermatol. 1987;123(4):476-478. doi:10.1001/archderm.1987.01660280078027
Abstract

• We evaluated the safety and efficacy of a 1:1 mixture of pentadecylcatechol (PDC) and heptadecylcatechol (HDC) diacetate in reducing hypersensitivity to poison ivy and poison oak. The study was double-blind, parallel, randomized, and placebo controlled. The 44 subjects receiving the active drug ingested a cumulative dose of 306.5 mg over a five-week period. Subsequently, 14 patients were continued on a maintenance phase, ingesting an additional 960 mg of drug. The PDC-HDC diacetate was well tolerated, with no significant side effects. Evaluation of efficacy compared poststudy and prestudy reactions to patch tests using urushiol in doses of 0.025, 0.05, 0.125, 0.25, and 0.5 μg applied to the forearm. The results indicated that the induction phase as well as the maintenance phase did not induce a statistically significant hyposensitivity to urushiol, and we were thus unable to decrease sensitivity to poison ivy and poison oak in humans using orally ingested PDC-HDC diacetate.

(Arch Dermatol 1987;123:476-478)

×