[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
August 1987

Bloom's Syndrome With Dimorphism of Sister Chromatid Exchanges in Phytohemagglutinin-Stimulated Lymphocytes

Author Affiliations

Department of Dermatology Kochi Medical School Okoo-chô Kohasu Nankoku-shi Kochi 781-51, Japan; Department of Medicine Kochi Medical School

Arch Dermatol. 1987;123(8):988-990. doi:10.1001/archderm.1987.01660320028003
Abstract

To the Editor.—  Bloom's syndrome is a rare autosomal recessive disorder characterized by photosensitive telangiectatic erythema of the face, stunted growth, a predisposition to malignancy, and increased sister chromatid exchanges (SCEs).1,2 We describe a 34-year-old man with Bloom's syndrome whose phytohemagglutinin-stimulated lymphocytes are composed of two populations,5,6 one with normal SCE frequency (30%) and the other with increased SCE frequency (70%).

Report of a Case.—  A man, aged 34 years, was referred to Kochi (Japan) Medical School Hospital for evaluation of anemia and diabetes mellitus. The three generations down to his parents are densely consanguineous. He was born of a full-term delivery, and his birth weight was 1500 g. Four months after birth, erythema of the face appeared. He had recurrent episodes of otitis media and otitis externa during his childhood. When he was 19 years old, he was found to have diabetes mellitus. Physical examination showed diffuse

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×