[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 54.161.216.242. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
March 1997

NEW YORK DERMATOLOGICAL SOCIETYTwo Hundred and Fifty-sixth Regular Meeting, held on Tuesday Evening, November 24, 1896

Author Affiliations

President, in the Chair.

Arch Dermatol. 1997;133(3):293. doi:10.1001/archderm.1997.03890390031003

This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.

Abstract

When Ferdinand Hebra began his training at Vienna's General Hospital in 1841, he was initially assigned to the Kraetzenstation, the ward where refractory and offensive dermatological cases were isolated from the general population. Although his colleagues considered this the most ignominious rotation, Hebra was stimulated by the diversity of skin diseases and devoted the rest of his life to their study and treatment. His first major contribution was to the understanding of scabies: others had noted the scabies acarus, but it was Hebra who, in 1844, irrefutably demonstrated that the mite was the sole cause of the skin disease. Hebra's reputation as an astute clinician attracted many students to his lectures, and his revolutionary classification scheme, first published in 1845, spread his fame far beyond the confines of the German-speaking community. In 1848 the lowly Kraetzenstation was transformed into the VII Medical Department, with Dr Hebra as its chief;

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×