About JAMA Dermatology
June K. Robinson, MD
Jeffrey P. Callen, MD
JAMA Dermatology has been in continuous publication since 1882. It began publication by the American Medical Association in 1920 as Archives of Dermatology and Syphilology. The journal publishes material that helps in the development and testing of the effectiveness of diagnosis and treatment in medical and surgical dermatology, pediatric and geriatric dermatology, and oncologic and aesthetic dermatologic surgery. JAMA Dermatology is a member of The JAMA Network family of journals, which includes JAMA and 11 specialty journals.
Journal Frequency and Access. JAMA Dermatology is an international peer-reviewed journal published online weekly, every Wednesday, and in a print/online issue 12 times a year. The journal receives over 2 million online visits annually, with 2.4 million article views and downloads. Without any author fees, all research articles are made free access online 12 months after publication on the website. All articles are made free access on an html app called The JAMA Network Reader on the day of publication. In addition, the online version is freely available or nearly so to institutions in developing countries through the World Health Organization's HINARI program.
Editorial Information. The acceptance rate is 10%, with median time to first editorial decision as low as 1 day or 30 days with peer review, a median of 51 days from submission to acceptance (including time for author revision), and 9 weeks from acceptance to publication. All major articles are published online first. The journal's Impact Factor is 5.82, ranking third among dermatology journals. Additional information on the types of articles published and editorial policies is available in the journal's Instructions for Authors.
Editorial Team. The Editor is June K. Robinson, MD, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, and the Associate Editor is Jeffrey P. Callen, MD, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, Kentucky. For a complete listing of the journal's Editors and Editorial Board, see link to Editors and Publishers below.
Mission Statement: JAMA Dermatology publishes information concerning the skin, its diseases, and their treatment. Its mission is to explicate the structure and function of the skin and its diseases and the art of using this information to deliver optimal medical and surgical care to the patient. We attempt to enhance the understanding of cutaneous pathophysiology and improve the clinician's ability to diagnose and treat skin disorders. This journal has a particular interest in publishing clinical and laboratory studies that reveal new information pertinent to the interests and needs of the medical dermatologist, dermatologic surgeon, and all those concerned with state-of-the-art care of cutaneous disease. We believe that knowledge derived from well-designed clinical trials and studies of cost-effectiveness are especially important for improving the practice of dermatology. Studies that increase the understanding of the outcome of treatment or the means by which the burden of dermatologic disease can be measured and reduced to promote the health of patients with skin disease will receive special priority. The journal regularly publishes reports on clinical investigations, editorials, and systematic reviews with meta-analyses. It also features reports and discussions on clinicopathologic correlations; clinical disorders of unique didactic value; pharmacologic, medical, and surgical therapeutics; and ethical, moral, socioeconomic, and political issues.
ISSN 2168-6068 (Print)
ISSN 2168-6084 (Online)
Back to top
Why Publish in JAMA Dermatology?
JAMA Dermatology publishes innovative, clinically relevant research that helps in the development and testing of the effectiveness of diagnosis and treatment in medical and surgical dermatology, pediatric and geriatric dermatology, and oncologic and aesthetic dermatologic surgery.
Impact and Reach
- Impact Factor of 5.82, ranking second among clinical dermatology journals
- Over 2 million annual visits to the JAMA Dermatology website; over 2.4 million annual article views and downloads
- Extensive press coverage, with 5,344 media mentions in 2016 in outlets such as The New York Times, BBC News, Reuters, The Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, CNN, NBC News, CBS News, FOX News, Bloomberg, Yahoo, Huffington Post, Web MD, and Forbes
- Top Altmetric scores among dermatology journals—JAMA Dermatology has 50% (25) of the top 50 articles with Altmetric scores (measure of news and social media coverage)
- Number of citations, Altmetric score, page views, and PDF downloads tracked for your published article
- International authors: 47% of submissions come from outside the United States
- Broad reach through author audio and video interviews, email alerts, Twitter, and Facebook
- Free public access via the JAMA Network Reader, an app that integrates content across the entire JAMA Network of journals and is accessible from any device
Prompt Decisions and Rapid Publication Timelines
Every submission to JAMA Dermatology undergoes prompt, rigorous review by our experienced editors.
- Time to first decision (median): 1 day; with review, 30 days
- Online First publication of all major articles
- Highly selective peer review and editorial evaluation, with 13% acceptance rate for research manuscripts
JAMA Dermatology offers unparalleled reach and an author-friendly approach, from manuscript submission through publication.
- User-friendly manuscript submission system and process
- Prompt, expert review and consideration from our experienced editors
- Highest standards followed to improve your accepted manuscript's accuracy, reliability, and readability
- CME credit available for lead authors who publish in JAMA Dermatology
- Opportunity for your work to be augmented with video, audio, and professional graphics and illustrations
- Free public access: All articles are freely available on the day of publication on The JAMA Network Reader; research articles are free 12 months after publication on the journal's website
- Open access: Authors of research articles may elect to pay for immediate open access on the day of publication
- Direct deposit to PubMed Central: All research articles deposited directly in PubMed Central (PMC) for authors
- Online extras: Ability to post supplemental content online and download your article's tables and figures as PowerPoint slides
- The JAMA Network advantage: Authors of papers not accepted by JAMA may have their papers automatically referred to JAMA Dermatology
- Dedicated media team to promote your article to the news media and on social media
For more information, see JAMA Dermatology Instructions for Authors. Submit your manuscript at http://manuscripts.jamaderm.com.
Back to top
Updated June 2017