[Skip to Content]
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
April 1937

UVEOPAROTITIS

Author Affiliations

ALBANY, N. Y.

From the Syphilis Division of the Medical Clinic, the Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Arch Intern Med (Chic). 1937;59(4):646-659. doi:10.1001/archinte.1937.00170200088007
Abstract

The syndrome which is variously designated as uveoparotid fever, uveoparotitic paralysis, uveoparotitis and uveoparotid tuberculosis was brought to the attention of clinicians by Heerfordt1 in 1909. Since then approximately eighty cases have been reported in the literature, of which not more than seven occurred in the United States. The earlier reports appeared largely in the Scandinavian and German journals of ophthalmology and apparently escaped the attention of the general medical practitioner. Credit is due to the English for reviving interest in the syndrome recently, especially through the medium of the review of Garland and Thomson2a published in 1933. Prior to that, and in the period from 1925 to 1931, only four cases had been reported in the United States (Cutler, Jackson, Hamburger and Schaffer3 and Merrill and Oaks4). Subsequently, Levin,5 Cogan6 and Cohen and Rabinowitz7 brought the number of cases reported in this country to seven, and additional

First Page Preview View Large
First page PDF preview
First page PDF preview
×