By the Staff of the Roscoe B. Jackson Memorial Laboratory, George D. Snell, Editor. Price, $7. Pp. IX + 497, with 172 illustrations. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Sons & Co., 1940.
This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
This reviewer once spent a memorable afternoon with Dr. Maude Slye and was given a personally conducted tour through a town more like one to be found in the kingdom of Lilliput than in the center of a modern city like Chicago. The population of the town was made up entirely of mice. There were slums where the poor and ill-bred lived and, in contrast, fine suburban residences where dwelt in comfort the aristocrats of pedigreed stock, who copulated and otherwise disported themselves according to their own desires. There were hospitals wherein sick mice were painstakingly observed, and where most expert surgical or pathologic procedures were carried out. There was a board of health charged with ferreting out disease and seeing to it that the hygiene of the citizenry was good, that the food supply was proper, that the water supply was pure and that recreational facilities in the form
Biology of the Laboratory Mouse.. Arch Intern Med (Chic). 1941;68(2):373-374. doi:10.1001/archinte.1941.00200080195019