In 1966, five existing hospitals were merged into one functioning unit, the Catholic Medical Center (CMC) of Brooklyn and Queens, Inc, New York. The CMC is located within two giant boroughs that house 2% of the total population of the United States. At our Department of Community Medicine, ambulatory services cared for 219,067 personvisits in 1971—a 61% increase in emergency visits, a 237% increase in outpatient-department visits, and a 343% increase in primary physicians in five years.
Gocke TM, Neiman SL. The Provision of Ambulatory Care in an Urban Nonuniversity Setting. Arch Intern Med. 1974;134(1):158-160. doi:10.1001/archinte.1974.00320190160028