In retrospect, it seems apparent that the above title (ie, Zamboni disease) was somewhat inept and conveyed to some readers the impression that the respiratory problem that occurred in school ice hockey teams was related to the Zamboni machine being used to smooth the ice.1 This was not the case, and the problem arose entirely as a result of inadequate ventilation. To blame the Zamboni machine is equivalent to attributing carbon monoxide intoxication to a particular make of car, when the subject concerned had fallen asleep at the wheel with the garage door shut. All pieces of equipment and machinery that rely on diesel fuel, gasoline, or, if it comes to that, propane constitute a hazard if the ventilation in the areas in which they are used is inadequate. This, of course, is particularly true in buildings.
Morgan WKC. Zamboni Disease. Arch Intern Med. 1997;157(1):135. doi:10.1001/archinte.1997.00440220141024