Ignácz Hirschler (1823-1891) completed his medical degree in 1846 in Vienna, Austria, and thereafter went to Paris, France, where he served as an assistant to Louis Desmarres from 1847 to 1848. On his return to Budapest, Hungary, he opened an ophthalmology practice and worked at the Hospital for Poor Children. Hirschler served as chair of the Medical Society of Hungary and founded the important Hungarian journal Szemeszet (Ophthalmology) in 1864. He also served in the Upper House of the Parliament of Hungary.
Ignácz Hirschler. Arch Ophthalmol. 2011;129(8):1017. doi:10.1001/archophthalmol.2011.194