Arthur Jacob, 1790-1874, was the first Irish ophthalmologist and the founder of 2 eye hospitals in Dublin. He was also a professor of anatomy and physiology at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. The medal shown, which was engraved by W. Woodhouse, was presented to Jacob in commemoration of eminent services rendered to the medical profession in Ireland in 1860 on the occasion of his 70th birthday. The obverse, Figure 1, depicts the bust of Jacob facing left. The reverse, Figure 2, depicts an inscription surrounding and within a tied laurel wreath.
A look at the past . . .. Arch Ophthalmol. 2001;119(1):27. doi:10-1001/pubs.Ophthalmol.-ISSN-0003-9950-119-1-enu0152