Copyright 2001 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved. Applicable FARS/DFARS Restrictions Apply to Government Use.2001
Julius Hirschberg (1843-1925), was an ophthalmologist who practiced in Berlin, Germany, and was an assistant to von Graefe. He became professor at the University of Berlin and introduced the use of the electromagnet for metallic foreign body removal in eye surgery. Today he is best known for his 11-volume History of Ophthalmology (1899-1918), which was later translated into English by Frederick C. Blodi.
This bronze plaquette (Figure 1)was struck in honor of Hirschberg's 70th birthday by his friends, colleagues, and students in 1913. The reverse (Figure 2) depicts "Science" removing the bandages from the eyes of an old man who is gazing out in amazement. On the left are some of Hirschberg's publications, and in the background, buildings of the University of Berlin. The medallic plaquette was engraved by Ernest Herter and struck by B. H. Mayer.
A look at the past . . .. Arch Ophthalmol. 2001;119(3):384. doi:10.1001/archopht.119.3.384