Copyright 2000 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved. Applicable FARS/DFARS Restrictions Apply to Government Use.2000
Albrecht Mooren, 1828-1899, was head of the Municipal Eye Hospital, Dusseldorf, Germany, from 1862 to 1883. He also became director of the Ophthalmic Institute of Liege from 1868 to 1878. The medal shown was engraved by Charles Weiner in 1880. The obverse (Figure 1 depicts the head of Morren facing left; the reverse (Figure 2), the god of light, a winged youth flying to the right, with a star above his head and a floating ribbon around his neck. In his left hand, he holds a radiant sun; in his right, a head bandage. The Latin inscription, E Tenebris ad Lucem (which translates to "Out of darkness to light") surrounds the reverse. The obverse portrait of this medal was used as a model for the monument to Mooren that was later erected by the city of Dusseldorf.
A look at the past . . .. Arch Ophthalmol. 2000;118(4):569. doi:10.1001/archopht.118.4.569