Russian-born Vladimir Petrovich Filatov (1875-1956) received his medical degree at the University of Moscow in 1897. He settled in Odessa in 1903 and in 1911 became professor of ophthalmology and the director of the Eye Clinic of Novorossiysk University (presently Odessa State Medical University). In 1936, he founded the Ukrainian Institute of Experimental Ophthalmology and was appointed its director. This institute is now known as The Filatov Institute for Eye Diseases and Tissue Therapy. Filatov was a gifted and courageous surgeon, perfecting the surgical techniques of keratoplasty, the tube flap method used in plastic surgery, and developing techniques for corneal grafts using cadaver eyes. He was also a pioneer in eyebanking corneal tissue.
Vladimir Petrovich Filatov. Arch Ophthalmol. 2009;127(9):1160. doi:10.1001/archopht.127.9.1160