Twenty years ago, the twelfth International Congress of Ophthalmology was held in Lucerne. The thirteenth, originally planned for St. Petersburg in the summer of 1914, was prevented by the World War. Ten years elapsed following the armistice before it was possible to gather the ophthalmologists of the world together. The stage was set in Amsterdam, the time September 5 to 13, and except for an occasional shower the sun shone brightly each day.
A vast amount of preliminary spade work had been done by the Dutch colleagues Zeeman, Marx, van der Hoeve, Rochat, Weve, Mulock-Houwer, Roelofs and many others. There was a central registration hall at the Kolonial-Institut, in which building the exhibits were installed and many of the meetings held. Here each member had his own private box in which all notices and correspondence were placed each day, here was a banking office, the executive offices of
DERBY GS. THE INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF OPHTHALMOLOGY. Arch Ophthalmol. 1929;2(4):387–390. doi:10.1001/archopht.1929.00810020403001