This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
This handsome quarto volume includes fourteen pages devoted to a fresh and lucid exposition of ophthalmoscopy and one hundred plates in color, each with its page of descriptive text.
The paintings of the fundus were made by Mrs. A. S. Burgess and are on a large scale, the optic disks being from 2 to 3 cm. in width. Most of the paintings are dated, the years ranging from 1926 to 1933. The artist used the self-illuminating ophthalmoscope, and the colors appear natural. One does not find, for example, the excessive green of the glaucomatous disk shown in Jaeger's atlas, made under the greenish light of the kerosene lamp soon after the invention of the ophthalmoscope, or the excessive pink of the atrophied disk found in some later atlases, made under the reddish light of the Argand gas burner or the early electric bulb with the carbon filament.
The plates were
Holden WA. Atlas Fundus Oculi.. Arch Ophthalmol. 1934;12(5):795–796. doi:10.1001/archopht.1934.00830180171015