This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
Institute of Ophthalmology, London.
—The formal opening of the Institute of Ophthalmology, a unit of the British Post-Graduate Medical Federation of the University of London, took place on Nov. 4, 1948.After the war, the British Post-Graduate Medical Federation was formed within the University of London and the Medical School at Moorfields was invited to join the Federation as an Institute of Ophthalmology. With a view to co-ordinating all that was best in London, Moorfields, the Central London Ophthalmic Hospital and, later, the Royal Westminster Ophthalmic Hospital, became amalgamated by an Act of Parliament. Such a combination gave scope for wide planning within the three units and it was decided that the building of the Central London Ophthalmic Hospital should be converted—not a very extensive reconstruction—into a research and teaching Institute, and that the other two hospitals should act as associated clinical units. The result, it is true,
News and Notes. Arch Ophthalmol. 1949;41(4):523-524. doi:10.1001/archopht.1949.00900040533013